Having a 4000 years history the watercraft has a ton of kayaking facts. Kayaking has lots of interesting facts and the evolutions of kayaking are now reached to the way of recreation. Where in the early period, the narrow watercraft had been using for fishing and hunting purposes. “The 31 Kayaking Facts” compiles all the essential kayaking facts. And provides solid information from the history and evolutions of kayaking facts.
So, let’s begin the ultimate facts about kayaking . . .
Firstly, kayaking is an ancient method of moving across the water. About 4000 years ago, some of the indigenous communities of Alaska invented the low-weight and narrow watercraft.A brief form the kayaking history
They have invented the kayak for fishing and hunting. As of then, people were very much involved in hunting.
The primitive structure of kayaks was basically, wood and some very general materials. And now, modern kayaks are developing a combination of various materials and modern technology. Now the manufacturing companies research a lot on the shape, weight, and materials. Thereby, modern kayaks have differed from primitive kayaks.
The whole history of kayaking is quite descriptive. The History of Kayaking is such an interesting example of kayaking history.
Later, the Europeans copied the design and models of the kayaks. Slowly, they brought some distinct, positive change with perfect shape, and used some better materials with the structure of the kayaks. Now the shape of the kayaks is almost the same. But the purpose of using the kayaks has become alternatives and versatile.
Today, most of the kayaks have covered decks, cockpits, sitting positions for one or several paddlers. Now we can find different designs of the kayaks with lots of price ranges and options. But there are some specific features of the kayaks. On which paddlers should concentrate before buying.
Above all, these facts are important for using the kayak properly like; construction, balance, stability, size, maneuverability, speed, etc.
Today the kayaking has become more and more popular for its enjoyment, adventurous feeling, and a lot of health benefits.
The 31 Facts About Kayaking
- Origin of The Word “Kayak’: The word kayak came from “Qajaq” a Greenlandic word. In the beginning, the watercraft was known as the “Hunter Boat”. As some indigenous groups had been using the boat for hunting. Now kayak is more popular for recreational purposes. In most sea resorts we will find kayaks.
- Primitive kayaks: Kayaks are probably more than four thousand years old boats. It was also used by primitive people. The older kayaks of the world have kept in Germany and North American Museums. It is thought that those kayaks are probably used in the year 1500-1600. It was an ideal way for them to sneak on to pray.
- The Oldest kayak of The World: World’s oldest kayak is kept in Munich, Germany. Here you can find the museum of five continents. The oldest kayaks were made by the North Americans in 1577.
- Meaning from The Origins: Originally the word the kayak means a boat which is used for man’s boat or used for hunting purposes. But today the kayaks are used for sightseeing and enjoying. But older kayaks were used for hunting the animals which are lived in water or river, seashores. On that that people used kayaks for hunting seals, whales, or caribou types of water living animals.
- Historical Facts of Sea Kayaking: Sea kayaks are ancient kayaks. Archeologists found that sea kayaks are more than 4000 years old. Sea kayak was sold in the market in the 1950s made with wooden materials, fabric, and fiberglass which materials were introduced for the first time with kayaks. In 1984, roto-molded kayaks appeared for the first time in markets for the rigidity.
Join The Survey
Interesting Facts of Kayaking
There are a huge number of interesting kayaking facts. Let’s have a look;
- Materials of Primitive Kayaks: The first kayaks of the world were not inflatable kayaks. Those kayaks were more than 700 years old. The primitive kayaks were made of animal skins and bones. And they use whale bones with stronger water-living animal teeth or bones.
- First Builders of Kayak: Different research says, the Arctic and Inuit people of North America were first built the oldest models of the kayaks. The ‘Eskimos’ who are the indigenous people of modern Greenland, Canada, and Alaska, have built the designs of the kayaks and they used kayaks.
- Actual Inventor of The Idea ‘Kayak’: Actually, they were from Greenland, Canada, and Alaska. History says, that the tribal people of Alaska invented kayaks. “Eskimo” is the credit-holding tribal community.
- Waterproof Materials of Ancient Kayaks: The Arctic and the Inuit people build their kayaks with seals and other animal skin. They made combinations with other wooden materials to make the frame of the kayaks. They also used the whale’s bones and skeletons. The ancient people used whale skins for making kayaks. People used that to make their kayaks waterproof.
- Tribal Name of The Kayaks: “Unimaq” was the name of kayak among the ancient tribal people. They use it for the transportation of their whole family. Those kayaks were almost up to 60 feet long.
Kayaking Facts in Modern Times
From the 19th century, kayaking has become more popular than previously. And the evolutions of kayaking have diversified for a lot of purposes. In fact, now people love kayaking with pets, like; kayaking with dogs. For dog kayaking, we need to train the dog for kayaking. Then the tour will become more enjoyable.
- Modern International Scales of Kayaks: In modern times, kayaking is maintaining the international scales of difficulty on the waters or rivers. It is the classification of stronger and rapid rivers and whitewater. These types of difficulty scales inspired by the Australian Kayaking trips in 1931. The difficulty scales classified from scale 1 to scale 4. And the base of scales depends on how fast-moving is allowed on smoky mountain areas and outdoors during the kayaking. It is an adventurous international scale.
- Safe River of kayak: From the 2000s, the Pigeon River has declared as the most completely safe place for rafting and whitewater kayaking. Because of its safe rapid features and having fun with the enthusiasts.
- First Kayak Race: In 1936, the Olympics Games include kayak races for the first time. It occurs at the summer Olympics. And the authority listed kayaking as a regular sport with canoeing. In 1948, the Olympic Games Committee was first decided to arrange the women’s single 500 meters kayaking races. In 1972, the Olympic Games included whitewater kayaking. Now, the Olympic Games Committee is arranging more than 10 whitewater racing competitions in every season of the Olympic Games.
- “Klepper’s” for War: The two men’s operation-based kayaks are “Klepper’s”. The Kleppers was first used for war purpose in modern times. It was first used in special missions based on interaction and extraction by the USA Marines, British commandos, and the Canadian Special Operation Forces on war. Kayaks were popular and helpful for war actions since the 19th century.
World Competitions and Facts of Kayaking
- World Champion of kayaking: Still now, the Hungarian people won most of the awards or medals for kayaking. When it is the time of the Olympics Hungary wins most of the medals for kayaking.
- Condition of German People in Kayaking: From the first journey of kayaking in the Olympics, the German people have won overall 81 Olympic medals in kayaking. Which was held in Berlin in 1936.
- Rafting Record: In 1902 kayaks together rafting up have created the world’s most kayaking record together. In 2011 the same thing repeats in New York.
- Highest Waterfall Kayaker: In 2009, 189 feet waterfall dropped by the kayak, which is still the highest waterfall for a kayak. And Tylor Bradt holds the credit. From Palouse Falls, people love Tylor as the extreme water kayaker of America in the world.
- Highest Water Cross in Kayaking: A 29 years old, veteran kayaker has crossed the Atlantic Ocean. Franz Romer is his name. He is a German boy who left Lisbon and reached Portugal in Puerto Rico. In that kayaking 4000 miles by his kayak. He is very well popular for his bravery.
- Farthest Distance Passer in Kayaking: A woman named Robyn Benincasa, who is from the USA, has created a very recent world record as the farthest distance women paddler who has paddled ever in 24 hours at a stretch. She covered 371.92 km in the Yukon River in 2011.
- Berlin Games Update: In 1936, “Flatwater sports’ was first introduced in the Berlin Games. But still, it was not completely kayaking. There was no rule or system for this sport at that time. Slowly, some modifications had applied to this. In 1948, the Olympic Committee has decided officially in Germany that they will arrange women kayaking in the Olympic Games.
Kayaking Facts: Perceptions and Purposes
- Thoughts of Kayaks According to Wikipedia: You may search for various websites for information on kayaks. But according to Wikipedia, generally, there are 8 types of kayaks.
- General Feature of Kayaks: The speed of the kayak, depending on the length of the kayaks. If the kayak is shorter, the speed of that kayak will be slower. But if it is a longer kayak, it will become a rapid kayak.
- Kayaking Facts of Fishing: Due to the anglers, portability, and launch-ability, a kayak is a good option for fishing. For the efficiency, stability, and versatility of the kayaks, people use them not only for leisure activity or the purpose of a hobby for fishing but also for some professional purposes of fishing. Kayaks offer you access to remote waters for fishing with larger loads and spaces with fun. So undoubtedly, people are convincing of kayaks for fishing benefits.
- Affordability in Fishing Purposes: Virtually a full-rigged kayak has more affordability than a general fishing boat. It has no fuel or maintenance cost. So it is a budget-friendly accessory, for its narrower design, the kayak has easy access on different sides of the water.
- Many Perceptions about Kayaking: There are so many truths reveal about kayaking which is the kayaking facts in modern times. Many people believe that kayaking was first introduced in Germany. Some people also still believe that Indian people made some kayaks a few centuries ago. But the whole world accepted kayaking as an international sport after the Olympics.
Types, Misconceptions and Learning Facts
- Types of kayaks According to Usages: The different evaluations of the kayaks are depended on the different usages of the kayaks. As the ‘Sit- on- top kayaks are named after the paddlers sitting styles on top of the kayaks in the open kayaks. When we talk about the sit inside or the cockpit kayaks, it means that the paddlers sit inside the kayaks and their body, hips or legs remain inside the cockpit of the kayaks. The paddlers need to sit inside the deck for these kayaks. If you see a tandem kayak, you must watch that these kayaks are paddling by two or more than two kayakers.
- Learning kayaking: Many non-profitable groups are teaching kayaking a very easy and enjoyable method. If you once start kayaking, you will go back to your home at the end of the day with a fresh start, entertainment, and curious exploration with your mind.
- Very Easy to learn kayaking: Learning kayaking is not so difficult for you. You just need to make a balance of your body on the water during kayaking. At the same time, you also need to get in with the water and prepare your arm for numbness.
- You need not be an expert: If you want to go kayaking for a specific reason like fishing, then you need not become a proficient kayaker for it. But you must learn the basic skills before. If you have a paddle and kayak in your hand, you can enjoy full freedom and relaxation near the riverside or far away from your home also. You have the opportunity so that you can take a fresh breath with the changing situations of the environment. Kayaking is like an open door to you. You can experience it yourself rather than doing typical official research at home. Never kayak the Green? Have a look at the Green River kayaking facts. It’s more interesting!
- Misconception about Kayaking: There remain some misconceptions about kayaking on the matter of safety. But actually the word ‘dangerous’ really does not suit kayaking. But still, some water-related perceived risks have related to kayaking. So the kayakers should remain alert about these.
Whitewater Kayaking: The 3 Factors
Whitewater Kayaking is mainly recreation-based kayaking. There are various types of whitewater kayaking. River running, play-boating, squirt boating is quite popular types in whitewater kayaking.
- Extreme Heat is a problem: Sometimes the extreme heat can lead to sunstroke and it’s a big fact in kayaking. It can be the reason for dehydration and eyesight problems. That’s why beginners have to pay more attention. Using sun protective cream and proper pack-up would help to cope up with this.
- Storm and Lighting: Storm is always a factor of fear in the water. But proper practice and techniques are mandatory for taking the challenge against the ocean.
- Difficulties: Yes kayaking is now that easy without guidelines. Some of us are too curious that they just jump into the water with the watercraft without knowing about the water, weather, and safety instructions. It can be then injurious. We always recommend having the guidelines first. Then practice on your own several times then you will easily master the ocean with your kayak. Here are the whitewater kayaking guidelines.
Still, some of us think kayaking is not easy to learn and can stress the body. But the thing is, kayaking is not that difficult to learn. And kayaking can be the paint remover. The recreational activity helps to keep the body fit.
Try kayaking. It’s one of the best water activities that enhance your mind and help our physical fitness.
Your recommendations are always appreciating. If there’s any question simply ask by a comment or contact the author.